To do your information technology job, you need to be able to think effectively. Critical thinking, problem solving and decision making are key your success and the progress of your career.
Thinking* is something you do everyday. However, you likely don't think about how you think and the ways that you use thinking in your career. We have. Here at GrowMe4IT we categoried Thinking Skill as having 5 levels and 6 areas that have varying dimensions.
The areas are:
- Problem Solving
- Decision making
- Critical thinking
- Job task planning and organizing
- Significant use of memory
- Finding information
- Finding information; Level 4; Dim1 (the complexity of locating the desired information): Draw on information from resource materials, colleagues and clients when troubleshooting coding and software errors. They may need to seek opinions and advice from several technical resources and integrate them for the correct information.
- Job task planning and organizing; Dim3 (whether priorities are provided to the worker or determined by the worker): Database analysts and data administrators may aid in strategic planning for their organizations by recommending new database software applications and database configurations to enlarge the scope and range of products and services offered. Data administrators contribute to operational planning by developing database policies.
- Critical thinking; Level 2; Quality Assurance: Evaluate the quality of work done by co-workers. For example, database administrators may assess the logic of script written by quality assurance specialists before authorizing access to operational databases for tests. Database analysts may evaluate project documentation written by co-workers to ensure its adequacy, accuracy and clarity before delivery to third parties.
- Decision making; Level 2; Dim4 (whether there is a set procedure or decision tree to follow): Decide on the level of urgency of problems reported by users based on various factors including complexity of the problem.
* See Government of Canada Essentiall Skills Guide for more inforation.